Friday, June 13, 2008

Dad's Fishing Trip


Dad went on his yearly fly fishing trip to the Green River with the guys this past weekend. He had a great time, despite some nastly weather the first day of the trip, and very high flows out of the Flaming Gorge Dam. The flows actually went from 800 cfs to 4200 cfs and stayed at 4200 cfs throughout the trip.....that's a lot. However, once the boys found out what the fish were keyed in on, the fish started to get caught. The guys always do a fun contest to keep the fishing a little interesting ( although fishing the Green is always a great experience). This year they had a prize going to the first to catch a fish on a nymph, streamer and dry fly. Who would have thought the dry fly would be the fly to get. Four of the five guys went into the last day tied and wouldn't you know it, nobody got the last fly. Chris couldn't get that dry fly on. He caught a brute on a Rainbow imitation Streamer pattern, and all others where on the classic size 20 and smaller BWO Barr's emerger. Even though the Cicadas were out in force. Had to be the high flows out of the dam. All in all, it was a fantastic trip, with lots of laughs, amazing views, and probably the best fishing in Utah.

PS.....I had to hijack my wifes blog to post this trip, as I highly doubt I was going to get a featured post with pictures of Fish. Heather will probably catch this post tonight and either laugh, smack me....or just delete it. If you see this blog before it's gone, please feel free to send encouragements for approval on another trip for Dad next year.....

PSS...I have the best wife in the world for letting me go on a 4 day fishing tip, leaving her at home with 3 kids, one of which you've most certainly seen in previous posts is...not such a good boy all the time.

9 comments:

Mary said...

I'm glad to know this post was written by Chris. I kept thinking, "What? What in the world does all this fly fishing lingo mean? And how does Heather know what all these terms are?!" I think I figured out that cfs are cubic feet per second, but again, how do you know how many cfs are coming from the dam? Not that I even begin to understand how cfs affect fish behavior.

Anyway, I agree Heather is a great wife, and I'm sure she would love a four-day break from parenthood too. Maybe she should vacation in Provo this August and come to Education Week with me!

rach said...

Nice Fish, Glad you had lots of fun.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful I love that top picture! It is good to get away now it is Heather's turn. You need a mommy's day away! :-)

The Price's Wife said...

Really? I was pretty sure that fish lingo was ALL Heather!

sparktacus said...

Haha! I was wondering where Heather was pulling all that knowledge from. I actually was imagining Heather rolling her eyes and typing it as you told her what to put down. Now it all makes sense!

Looks like it was nice. That Friday night and Saturday morning was all rain up here, but it cleared up nicely after that.

beth said...

it looks absolutely beautiful! I'm glad you had fun and I like the way you pretended to be Heather--all excited about the hubby's trip--why it sounded as if she had been there :).

rach said...

Your a mans man. That is a pretty cool post. Hope that this tradition can happen for many years to come. Did you take any fish home for Heather to clean? -Todd

Flightee said...

Great pictures, sounds like a great time!

...and I agree a girls weekend sound fair...

Great memories to be kept.
Michelle

Wendy said...

Wow! I haven't been to your blog in awhile. I love all of the new posts and pics. And I love that Chris actually posted his own post. Hope you guys are doing well!